The almond is a species of tree native to the Middle East, the Indian Subcontinent and North Africa. Almond is also the name of the edible and widely cultivated seed of the tree. The fruit of the almond is a drupe, consisting of the outer hull and hard shell with the seed, which is not a true nut, inside.
Almonds are found in places like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Israel. America and a few European countries, like Greece, also cultivate almonds. Almonds are highly nutritional, being rich in vitamin E, calcium, phosphorus, iron and magnesium. It also contains zinc, selenium, copper and niacin.
The health benefits of almonds are extensive, and they are frequently used as a healthy solution for relief of constipation, respiratory disorders, coughs, heart disorders, anemia, impotency and diabetes. Almond consumption can also help in maintenance of healthy hair, skin care and dental care.
This variety of sliced almonds is ideal for confectionery creations or an easy addition to any food or fresh salad.
• Almonds are a source of many nutrients which help in development and health of the human brain. They have been connected to a higher intellectual level and they have long been considered an essential food item for growing children. They also contain riboflavin and L-carnitine, which have been shown to increase brain activity, resulting in new neural pathways and a decreased occurrence of Alzheimer's disease.
• Regular consumption of almonds helps to increase the level of high density lipoproteins, or HDL and they reduce the levels of low density lipoproteins.
• Almonds are a superb source of many vitamins and minerals, phosphorus being one of them. Phosphorus can have a considerable impact on the strength and durability of bones and teeth, while also preventing the onset of age-related conditions like osteoporosis.
• The mono-unsaturated fats, protein and potassium contained in almonds are all vital in heart health. Vitamin E is an effective antioxidant and also reduces the risk of heart disease, while magnesium in almonds can help avoid heart attacks. The nut can reduce the presence of C-reactive proteins which cause artery-damaging inflammation. The folic acid in almonds can help in reducing the level of gomocysteine, which causes fatty plaque buildup in arteries. Finally, the flavonoids and vitamin E in almonds conbine together to form a shield against artery wall damage.
• Almonds can contribute in the desired alkalinity the system has to have. Almonds contain many alkali materials, known to benefit the strength of the immune system, as well as increase the ability to protect from various diseases and various health conditions.
• Almons contain linoleic and linolenic acids. These fatty acids help in reducing inflammation and also reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol and promote healthy skin and hair.
• The potassium present in almonds helps in regulating blood pressure and almonds are low in sodium, which helps control fluctuating blood pressure.
• The presence of manganese, copper and robiflavin in almonds helps in energy production and metabolic rate.
• Almonds can help reduce the reactionary rise in glucose and insulin levels after meals. They are also able to regulate the absorption and processing of glucose.
• Almonds are rich in fiber and can help prevent constipation. It is hower important to drink a significant amount of water when eating almonds to speed up the digestive process anf beneficial effects of the nut.